My first experience with my son teething was not a good one. He was sweaty, fussy, had diarrhea, and a temperature.
I did what I was told by my doctor and gave him tylenol for the pain but I found that these symptoms went on for days before I could even visualize his first tooth!
After a while I started getting nervous about how often I was reaching for a pain suppressant like Tylenol and Motrin.
I decided that I needed to start looking at natural remedies for a teething baby instead of reaching for a substance that contained endocrine disruptors such as butylparaben and high fructose corn syrup.
In fact, now our family is completely Tylenol-free and have been for almost 8 months! I am really proud of that.
After spending some time sorting through naturopathic books and reaching out to my homeopathy group, I discovered some natural remedies for teething. I started implementing them during subsequent teething periods and am happy to report that Connor is currently cutting 2 teeth. He is nothing but a drooly, happy boy!
Signs your baby is teething
Every infant is unique in when their first tooth will start to appear. Some get one at a time, whereas others can have multiple teeth come through which stagger in closely one after the other.
In general it takes about a week for a tooth to migrate to the surface of the mouth.
One day I noticed one little tooth on the bottom of my son’s mouth and then all of a sudden he had 4 new teeth and was enjoying all kinds of new foods!
During this time infants can exhibit any and or all of the following symptoms:
- Red swollen gums
- Increased biting or gnawing
- Gum rubbing
- Ear rubbing
- Increased sucking
- Irritability and fussiness
- Decreased appetite for solid foods
- Sleep disturbances
- Facial rash often presenting as red cheeks
- Mild fever
Natural remedies for a teething baby
- Offer your baby something cold. You can throw a couple of wash cloths in the freezer and let them chew and play with them. This helps enhance coordination by practicing to bring objects to their mouth. Another great option for a cold compress is frozen fruit. You can place them in mesh teethers and give your child some extra vitamin C for the day!
- Massage your babies gums frequently throughout the day to stimulate the blood flow. This helps bring oxygen to the tissue, which helps cell turnover as the gums are getting used to the new tooth. The pressure can also reduce swelling. I know some may disagree, but a tiny bit of whiskey on top of the gums can offer a soothing effect.
- Extra nursing sessions are a great way to provide comfort and bonding during teething. The reality is, your baby will never remember the pain they are going through, but that doesn’t change the fact that helping them get through this experience of childhood has a positive psychologic effect and improves attachment. This study confirms that the skin to skin contact from breastfeeding provides an analgesic effect.
- Use homeopathy. To me this is God’s medicine. It uses substances derived purely from nature to trigger the body to heal from within and alleviates specific symptoms. Two commonly used remedies for teething are Chamomilla and Pulsatilla. These remedies are the reason we no longer have any disruptive symptoms of teething in our house so I will discuss how to use them in detail.
Homeopathy for teething
There are many remedies that can be used to relieve teething symptoms with homeopathy. I will talk about the two most common remedies, one of which I use for my son Connor during his second bout of teeth coming in. I used Tylenol for the first.
We are currently in another round of teething as he is getting his second bottom incisor teeth. His fussiness has returned and I have once again found success with homeopathy. This time around, he does not appear to be in much pain and has not experienced any fevers.
Homeopathy is energy medicine. As hokey as this sounds, it has been used for over 200 years. It is used by many noteable folks including the royal family.
The interesting thing with homeopathy is mood and mental componets have great weight when looking at which remedy to choose.
It is beyond the scope of this blog to explain the details on how deeply understand homeopathy, however I feel confident in talking about the next two natural remedies for a teething baby.
The beauty of homeopathic remedies is the lack of any side effects. If you choose the wrong remedy, it will just do nothing!
The body uses homeopathy as a signal to stimulate its innate healing ability so if the wrong one is chosen the relief will not come, but nothing risky like what comes along with Tylenol.
- Chamomilla should be used when you have a teething child who is whiney, irritable, and hard to please. This child will scream for attention and want to be picked up, but when you go to hold him, he immediately want to be put down. They are a restless child and impatient. You could almost call the chamomilla child angry when they are in pain. The remedy chamomilla is made from an extreme dilution of the Chamomile flower. You may recognize it as a soothing tea in the grocery store. It is best to use this remedy in the 30 C preparation. Your child will enjoy using homeopathy, as it is basically a sugar granule with “energy.” It is generally given 3 times a day or as needed when symptoms appear.
- You will know you have a Pulsatilla child if they are clingy. You will be trying to make dinner and they will be hanging on your leg and begging for attention. They want to be cuddled and feel better when being comforted by you. This makes them seem to be an easier child to deal with than a Chamomilla child. Pulsatilla is the homeopathic preparation of the purple pasque flower, which is native to Europe. It also is best to be dosed for children in the 30 C preparation, as needed.
The best natural remedy for a teething baby is lots of love. I realize that sounds cliche but it is the truth. I have to remind myself of this every day, especially during trials and tribulations like dealing with a teething baby.
I hope this information added some value to your life and you are able to use homeopathy to heal your family as I am learning to do. Please feel free to comment and share!
The Cheeky Mommy